? ??????????????Joshua Trees? ????? ?????? ???Rating: 3.2 (25 Ratings)??0 Grabs Today. 2062 Total Grabs. ?
?????Get the Code?? ?? ?????Frankfurt, Germany? ????? ?????? ???Rating: 3.6 (33 Ratings)??0 Grabs Today. 1858 Total Grabs. ??????Get the Code?? ?? ???????Palmy Afternoon? ????? ?????? ???Rating: CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS ?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The people I meet....

Ok...so I want to tell you about the people I meet everyday...so I get to walk everywhere I go...and sometimes it is pretty far...you know to the classes I am teaching...so on monday it was one of those days that I got to walk far....theses are some of the pictures I took on my walk....

This little boy was walking to who knows where...all by himself...and you can see passing him is what is called a Mini-bus....a little van that they use for public transport...and stuff as many people as they can on to it...I hate them....there are usually room for 15 people at most but I have been in one where there where 25 people....it was horrible and I have not ridden in one since then.....
So this guy is trying to fly a kite....made from trash bags, two sticks, and for sting cassette tape...you see alot of these kind of kites...and cars made out of empty drink containers...they can always find something to play with...and are so happy with their toys made out of trash.

So you can see some of the normal houses...these are actually really nice ones...and the house I live in is like a mansion....
So everywhere you go...there are women selling things on the side of the road...it depends what is in season...like here they are selling corn...they are cooking them(kinda grilling them on coals) and sell them for 1pin(1000K=$0.20)....you find them all along the road...about every 1/2 mile or so and they are all selling the same things. This is how these women provide for their families...alot of them are single and have a bunch of kids...as you can see here....


So this woman I meet...she was selling corn too...I stopped and talked to her for a bit...her name is Modesty....Like I said they are all over...they sit in the same place all day, everyday...selling what they have to get a little money...3/4 of all Zambians live on less than $1 (5000K) a day...I tried it for a week...and it was hard...and that was just with my food...not anything else....

2 comments:

Cim* said...

Leah! I love your photos! I think one of the best things about living or traveling in a new place is the unique and interesting people you meet! I bet the people just love it when you stop and talk with them!I'm still really enjoying your blog. You are really touching a lot of people's lives! We had ward conference on Sunday and talked about provident living. I think what you're doing is a huge part of that! Most of the other aspects of our lives don't really seem to matter that much if we don't have health and safety. I hope you are keeping safe and well! You're in my thoughts and prayers! Cim*

whitneys said...

well girl it sounds like you are having fun and learning a ton. i can't imagine how it would be to live on so little. on your 25 things about you i can so picture you on every one of them. you don't have too much longer and soon we'll all be having a family bbq! i can't wait!!! see you soon!

tiff